Masking tape is the most common choice to protect one area from paint without bleeding or to set masking film. But if you need crisp and thin lines for your paint, or you have to decorate it by hand, a body shop masking tape is what you want.
Not every tape works the same, follow our suggestions to get the perfect body shop masking tape. In this article you will find:
- masking tapes for critical body shop jobs
- body shop masking tapes with easy tear and conformability
- special tapes for difficult spots
For critical body shop jobs: Q1® High Performance Masking Tape
You know that sometimes things can get really serious in body shops. The first item you must keep by your side is definitely a high performance body shop masking tape.
We suggest you to use Q1® High Performance Masking Tape if you are looking for a product able to resist even the most critical jobs, because:
- it can withstand high temperatures of up to 110°C / 230°F for as long as 30 minutes.
- it’s UV resistant up to three days, making it ideal for projects where UV resistance is required.
- thanks to a specific water resistance backing treatment, offers great resistance to moisture, water and solvent based paints.
- the high-quality rubber-based adhesive formula prevents lifting or overspray during the painting process.
For easy tear and conformability: Q1® Premium Masking Tape
In a body shop, much of the masking work consists of following all the curves of the car body and dressing it like a glove with masking tapes, paper and film.
Use Q1® Premium Masking Tape if you are looking for a good quality product, with easy tear and conformability.
This automotive masking tape can be applied to any vehicle surface and provides several benefits:
- it gives you nice, sharp and clean paint edges.
- for difficult applications, the tape can be torn by hand in short stripes that fit the most irregular surfaces.
- it adheres instantly to surfaces thanks to its good holding power.
- it also resists waterborne and solvent-based coatings.
- it has a controlled unwind.
- it ensures an easy and clean removal without sticky adhesive residues.
For difficult spots: Q1® body shop foam masking tape and trim masking tape
To complete the range of masking tapes in your body shop, you will also need some products that are specifically designed to mask all those tiny gaps and curves that make you go nuts.
Here you are two tapes that will make your job so much easier.
Q1® Performance Foam Tape
The ideal masking solution for reducing masking time around doors, tailgates and other vehicle access points. In other words, a real lifesaver in a professional body shop. This quick, performance-engineered solution to seal openings:
- is designed to mask all apertures and prevent the ingress of paint during spraying.
- gives a feathered finish, with no build-up of hard edges.
- is flexible and easy to shape around contours.
- offers an easy and clean removal.
- eliminates paint build up and hard edges.
Q1® Premium Trim Masking tape
This trim masking tape is pre-cut every 38mm, allowing tearing it in short stripes that easily fit into the gaps of trim mouldings. It is designed to facilitate situations like masking inset door handles, windscreen, side mouldings, taillight, sidelight and headlight units, part of the daily life in a body shop.
Among its plus points:
- a high performance rubber-based adhesive.
- a specially treated paper backing.
- temperature resistance up to 230° F. / 110° C. (30 min.) 194° F. / 90° C. (60 min.)
- a self-dispensing box.
Now that you know exactly which masking tapes are right for your body shop, go and get them!