Automotive masking tape, paper and film: all you need to know.
Automotive masking tape, paper and film are the key products for masking cars and other vehicles with professional results. Each of them must be used for specific applications and gives the best results when employed following a precise procedure, with some tips & tricks to save time and improve output: let’s discover all of them in this guide for professional masking by Q1® Tapes.
Let’s start from the beginning: the cleaning. Before applying any masking product, what you need to do is to clean carefully every surface of the car body, degrease it and make sure it is free from dust. Any kind of dirt could compromise the adhesion of both masking products, fillers, primers and paints, leading to outcomes that could make you waste hours of work and tons of expensive products. Once the vehicle is cleaned, you can start with the masking.
Automotive refinishing masking tape
Automotive refinishing masking tape is the basic product of professional masking. You can employ the tape in two ways:
- Alone, when masking small surfaces near the damage. In this case you can’t mask the entire area (because you need to paint it), but you still have to protect the closest surfaces or components, such as door handles, headlights and taillights, rearview mirrors and so on. To do that, you just have to tear automotive paint tape in small stripes and stick it on the surface, covering all the parts you don’t have to paint.
- In combination with masking paper or masking film: automotive masking tape is also used to fasten masking paper or film on the car, to protect wide areas form paint overspray. Later in this guide we will talk about these products and how to use them in the best way.
How to choose a good automotive masking tape
Automotive refinishing masking tape is employed in professional contexts that require speed, precision, sharp and clean results. When choosing a good automotive paint tape you have to take into account some key qualities such as:
- High temperature resistance: automotive masking tape must resist high temperature exposure during the multiple drying cycles performed in automotive refinishing. The tape is exposed for different time spans to variable temperatures, depending on the material you have to dry: fillers, primers, undercoat, coats or clear coat. Generally speaking, an automotive masking tape that resists up to 90°C for one hour or 110°C for half an hour can easily cover all the needs of an average car refinishing process.
- Clean removal: it is essential for an automotive paint tape to be removed without leaving any adhesive residue. A professional repair shop can’t afford to waste time to clean a vehicle after masking.
- Easy tear: to save further time, a good automotive masking tape must be torn easily by hand to provide the desired stripe without the use of cutter or other tools. Tearing by hand let you speed considerably the masking job whether you have to apply the tape alone or in combination with masking paper or film.
- Compatibility with the most used painting products: throughout most car refinishing processes, both waterborne and solvent base products are used, in particular water base coats and solvent base clear coats. Make sure the automotive refinishing masking tape you are using is compatible with both these types of paint.
- Good conformability: both when used alone and with masking paper or film, automotive paint tape is often warped or bent to follow the curves of the vehicle, needing to adapt without lifting or tearing. Choose a product that guarantees good conformability to the curved shapes of cars.
Automotive masking paper
Car detailing masking paper is used to mask off wide surfaces and it is particularly efficient in sealing windows and openings, as paper is thicker than film and resists better on empty areas. Good masking paper must provide penetration resistance to the paints used in car refinishing, while being light enough and easy to handle to offer a quick and efficient product. Let’s see how to apply automotive masking paper on a vehicle.
How to apply car detailing masking paper
To apply automotive masking paper we need again masking tape:
- When masking around edges, first stick masking tape under the edge so that the tape protrudes for half of its width, with the adhesive side looking outward. Then, tape the border of the paper in the same way and match it with the tape on the car, performing what is called tape on tape With this technique, car masking paper will hold strongly despite its weight.
- For all other masking situations, tape on tape techniques are not necessary. Just use the tape on masking paper to stick it to the desired surface and make sure to press the tape with fingers to enhance its adhesive hold.
Car masking film
Car masking film is used in combination with masking paper, or as an alternative by some professionals who prefer it for its lightness and ease of use. The best car masking films are engineered with electrostatic properties to cling on the vehicle and retain overspray, preventing paint bleeding on the nearby surfaces or on the floor. Like all the other masking products, car masking films provide temperature resistance according to the standards required by car refinishing sector.
Car masking film usually comes into two variants that meet specific applications:
- Masking drop film: this is the classic car masking film used to cover vehicle areas that require not to be painted. Like masking paper, masking drop film is applied on the car with the aid of masking tape.
- Car refinishing protective film: protective films are specifically used to give an additional protection inside spray booths. Like masking drop films, they are treated to ensure paint adhesion and cling easily on the vehicle, offering a quick way to protect with a unique solution the entire car body (including wheels and other difficult parts to mask). You just have to cut it so to leave exposed the area to paint, and fasten it with masking tape to prevent paint bleeding.
Q1® Tapes range of premium masking solutions
Q1® Tapes is a new brand line of premium masking products for professionals of car refinishing sector. The range includes all the products needed for perfect masking applications, designed to improve performance, save time and enhance quality. All the products are cost effective not only for their affordable price, but also for the benefits they guarantee by using them.
Subscribe to newsletter
Share this page: